Address and directions
Public transport: Triftweg
Today's use: Housing estate
#Housing estate #Leipzig #1930
The realized five-storey Steel house at Zwickauer Str. visually has most of the details of modern construction: flat roof, the oriels, the metal windows and the construction itself. The remaining seven, three-storey blocks at Leanderweg and Hauffweg have gable roofs and other constructions: Block II is a reinforced concrete skeleton construction, the staircases were originally reconstructed during the last renovation. Hauffweg 7, 9, 11, 13 and Leanderweg 8, 10, 12 are designed by Curt Schiemichen. On the right side there is a tile that shows the year of construction and the developer. Block III is a wooden timber frame construction and Block IV is a classical brick building. This type of construction was the most typical in Leipzig at that time, so it does not really represents an experimental construction.
The Leipziger Baumesse GmbH (Leipzig Construction Fair) decided in 1928 to present various materials in constructing houses. The company "Sächsisches Heim" developed the system. The architect Otto Haesler from Celle drafted a large-scale plan for a new housing estate in 1929. In contrast to today's eight blocks, he designed 14 short to longer blocks with 4 floors, as well as 2 ten-story high-rise buildings. As was the case today, the blocks were oriented in a north-south direction. It started also a discussion about a "skyscrapers". At least the plan was canceled because the construction fair could not decide whether the focus was on architecture and modern living culture or just on showing different materials.
Already in 1929 the plans for the housing estate were criticized, because the did not convinced from the aesthetic point of view. Haesler left the program and R.O. Koppe takes over the architectural planning, referring to the preparatory work by Haesler.