Kurt Bärbig studied in Dresden and opened his first studio in 1913. Besides his more traditional buildings, he also designed two modernist buildings: the meat factory in Dresden and a Youth Recreation home near Sebnitz.
As a left-wing architect the Nazis banned him from his profession in 1933. He emigrated to Brazil with leaving back his daughter in Dresden. In 1945 he returned to Dresden and participated in the city's rebuilding programmes. A kind of neoclassical buildings became a standard solution of his work.