Address and directions
Public transport: Nádraží (Train station) / Autobusové nádraží (Bus station) / Pošta
Access: Public building, free entry during working hours
Today's use: Post office
#Post office #Luhačovice #1928
The fact that the architect learned the forms of classicism can be seen well in the symmetrical, very clearly designed building. There are three storeys facing the street. The courtyard side has four storeys at the corners, creating small towers. Apparently, the entrances to the roof terrace are from these towers. The entrance to the post office is impressively located in the glass hall, which is set in front of the ground floor. The building is adorned with two flagpoles and a sculpture with the Czech lion, the Czech heraldic animal.
Since the soil is very unstable due to the natural healing springs, the building rests on a 60 cm thick reinforced concrete slab.
The plan for a new post office was made in 1927 as part of an urbanist plan to create a new square. Several architects took part in the competition. Ladislav Machoň already had experiences in designing post offices.
In 1995, the building was carefully reconstructed so that many details of the interior could be preserved. Since 2006, the building has been listed as a monument by the Czech National Heritage Institute.