Address and directions
101 00 Prague (Praha), Czechia
Public transport: Vinohradská vodárna
Access: Open to public before, during or after service
Today's use: Church
#Sacral building #Prague (Praha) #1932
The building is divided into three main areas: the bell tower with a spiral staircase, the church building with the columabria in the basement and ground floor and a residential building with seven floors. The filigree tower ends with a chalice, the symbol of the Hussite Church.
The church interior on the first floor is very clearly structured. Almost like in a university lecture hall, the rows of benches are arranged sloping towards the back. The room is brightly lit by a shed roof with glass, instead of a closed roof. The type of a shed roof is more typical for industrial buildings.
In contrast to the church, the cultural program appears less modern, but its colours are particularly striking. They are made of clay. The naturalistic representation is intended to highlight the character of Hussiteism and thereby express human closeness. Jesus Christ dominates the chancel. On the left side, figures from the Old Testament are depicted to indicate the connection to the Bible. The group of figures on the right shows the church's own history: Cyril and Methodius, Jan Hus, Jan Komenský and Karel Farský, the first patriarch of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church. All sculptures in this room were made by Jan Znoj. All artists, that created the sculptures and pictures are listed here. The columbarium, the community's cemetery, has been located under the church since 1938.
The residential building, intended for the parishioners, is directly adjacent to the church.
Different dates are always given for the construction of the church. We decide to specify the Czech Heritage Institute. One reason for the different information is probably that the symbolic foundation stone of the church was laid on October 26, 1930, but construction did not begin until July 1, 1932. The community had been planning a church at this location since 1925. The architect Pavel Janák presented a first plan in 1929, without the residential building. The second plan from 1930 shows the church and the residential building.
After finishing the main works, the first service was celebrated on October 1, 1933, although the entire building was not completed until 1935. In 1938 the theatre hall, which had previously been in the basement, was converted into a columbarium. This room serves the deceased of the parish.
For many Prague residents and Czechs, the church is a symbol of the end of World War II. Since the main building of Czech Radio was bombed in May 1945 and the Prague Uprising, i.e. the resistance against the Germans, had to be supported with radio, the Czech Radio broadcast from the 7th to 1945 May 9, 1945 from the church's basement. This means that the end of the war and one of the few active radio stations in Europe, which were previously occupied by the fascists, falls on exactly the same date. For many Czechs, Czech Radio is very important. The church is therefore one of the symbols of the Czech resistance in World War II.
Besides from this history, the church was renovated for a long time lasting from 1999 until 2006.