Aleje Sułkowskiego (1937)

Feed image of Aleje Sułkowskiego

#Housing estate #Bielsko-Biała #1937

Architects

Alfred Anton Wiedermann, Roman Jüttner, Franz Bolek

Address and directions

Bohaterów Warszawy 1, 3, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14(?), 15, 17, 18, 20A, 21, 22, 23, 2A-6A; Grota Roweckiego 2, 4, 6, 8, 18, 20, 22, 34; Hugona Kołłątaja 14; Kapitana Aleksandra Kunickiego 4, 6, 7, 8, 10; Thomasa W. Wilsona 1, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11
43-300 Bielsko-Biała, Poland

Public transport: Dmowskiego Urząd Miejski

Today's use: Apartments and shops

A significant housing estate project in Poland.

Description

As far as we have counted correctly, 39 houses belong to the project. Only rarely do the houses from the interwar period stand directly next to each other, as each house was built separately. 

Even though the houses were financed by different clients, they are To a certain extent similar. This includes the height of the houses with mostly five storeys, plaster facades and flat roofs. Balconies were often added, and garages were designed for two of the houses (Bohaterów Warszawy 21, Wilsona 7).
At some plots the curved course of the street was transferred to the houses, as in Bohaterów Warszawy 1, 3 and 2A-6A.
Within the similar design, some houses are particularly striking, for example Bohaterów Warszawy 1 with an influence of streamline modernism and as well as Grota Rowickiega 2 as the first buildings of the settlement on the western edge. The curved building Okrąglak (meaning round building) Bohaterów 2A-6A (photos still missing) forms the end of the settlement in the east and adapts to the course of the river Biała. 
The houses Bohaterów Warszawy 23 and Kapitana Aleksandra Kunickiego 8 also stand out because they have a modern building compositions, larger window areas and, in the case of Bohaterów Warszawy 23, the pillars on the ground floor.

 

History

The property of this part of town belonged to the ducal family Sułkowski, used as a garden. Because of financial obligations, the family handed over the area to the Polish state, leaving a plot of land at their disposal. The street Boheratów Warszawy once was called Aleje Sułkowskiego. A housing estate was named after this name, which is located in five streets. 
All older buildings were demolished between 1934 and 1937 to make way for the project. As each plot was built separately, it was not possible to complete the housing estate until the outbreak of World War II. All the houses with house numbers not given with an address by us were built from the 1950-1970s, some of them after 1990.

Sources

Facades
plaster
Windows
casement
Roof
flat
Details
balcony flagpole oriel garage pillar
Position
along a street centre of a city/town/village

Impressions

Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego Gallery image of Aleje Sułkowskiego