De Telegraaf office (1928)

Feed image of De Telegraaf office

#Administration building #Amsterdam #1928

Architects

Gerard Johan Langhout, Jan Frederik Staal

Address and directions

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 225
1012 RL Amsterdam, Netherlands

Public transport: Paleisstraat

Today's use: Administration building

The former office building of De Telegraaf, the largest Dutch daily morning newspaper.

Description

The building was built on an irregular floor plan in different types of stone and housed a printing house with offices. It has a basement and six floors. The first floor housed the print shop, the first, second and third floors were offices, the fourth floor was used for the typesetting department, and the fifth floor, which was set back, housed storage rooms. Between the first floor and the second floor there are mezzanines. The whole is covered with a sloping, flat roof that has a glazed window along its entire length. On the north side, an addition measuring approximately 9 x 18 meters is angled towards the main building. On the south side there is a tower with a spire.

The building is constructed as a reinforced concrete skeleton on a distinguished reinforced concrete substructure; iron structures were used in the factory spaces as much as possible. The masonry of the front facade and the tower is executed in dark bronze-colored glazed stone and granite. The southern side facade is partially brickwork of light-colored glazed stone. The remaining facades are masonry of slightly yellow-colored waalklinkers.

The windows of the print shop in the front facade are made of bronze. In the lower part there is a transom window, in the upper part there are glass bricks. All other windows are made of iron. The roof of the front building is made of iron, covered with bimcrete on which tar-free paper is glued. The gable end is covered with lead and granite. The spire is clad in chemically pure lead; the openings in the spire have glass building blocks. The flagpole can be lowered into the spire by means of a movement device.

The tower consists of a reinforced concrete shaft with openings for the elevator doors. Above the highest floor there are two water reservoirs, one for Vecht water, another for dune water, intended to maintain the water pressure. On the outside, horizontal and vertical ribs have been applied for proper attachment of the masonry to the concrete. The spire is worked with openings and vertical articulations and horizontal ribs. For access to the offices, the main entrance located on the left served. The two iron doors on the right were equipped with platform elevators meant to carry the heavy paper rolls to the paper warehouse located in the basement.

The entrance hall with connecting classrooms, the main staircase and the hall of each floor are clad in marble. On the office floors, the spaces are formed by iron walls with glass occupancy. The lower part of the walls and columns in the office rooms are covered with tiles. On each office floor there was a boardroom on the north side.

Description translated from the State Service for Cultural Heritage Ministry of Education, Culture and Science

Construction types
reinforced concrete steel skeleton
Facades
clinker brick
Windows
casement fixed
Roof
flat
Details
tower
Position
along a street
Storeys
6

Impressions

Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office Gallery image of De Telegraaf office