March 21, 1969 in Überlingen, Germany
Wilhelm Berthold was the director of admisnistration of the Leipzig theatre Schauspielhaus. They played young authors and were left-wing oriented. In 1929 he became the only and main director.
During World War II and after the war he organized theatre at the Leipzig chateau Gohliser Schlösschen. He owned in Markkleeberg a cinema named Filmbühne Markkleeberg West. It was nationalized shortly after the war. In 1952 Berthold decided to go to West Germany.