The glass factory was founded in 1889 as Oberlausitzer Glaswerke J. Schweig + Co. In 1920 the name Vereinigte Lausitzer Glaswerke was used as a symbol of a bigger company. The large factories Siemens and AEG started to produce all their glass lamps in Weißwasser. The company AEG supported glass design, a main impulse that many well-known glass where designed and produced in Weißwasser.
In 1946 the company was nationalized and became the biggest glass producer in the GDR. After 1990 parts of the factory were sold and are in function until today.