Clemens and August Brenninkmeijer founded the company C. & A. Brenninkmeijer in 1841. In 1860 they opened the first manufactured goods and ladies' outerwear shop in Sneek. The term C&A is still associated with textile fashion today. In 1911, the company expanded to Germany, followed by the UK in 1922. In Germany, the their name is rendered as Brenninkmeyer in the German version. After World War II, the company's successful expansion continued.