Konstanty Gutschow studied at the Technical University in Gdansk and Stuttgart, where he received his diploma in 1926. During his studies he worked for Fritz Höger, who encouraged him in his choice of profession, and he was able to complete his internship during the construction of the Chilehaus in Hamburg.
After graduating, he found employment from 1927 under Fritz Schumacher in the
Hochbaudirektion Hamburg. In 1928 Gutschow passed his 2nd state examination to become a government master builder
but chose not to enter the civil service, instead founding his own architectural office in 1929.
During the Great Depression, he earned his living by providing expert opinions for the Reichsforschungsgesellschaft für Wirtschaftlichkeit im Bau- und Wohnungswesen e.V.. In 1933 Gutschow joined the National Socialist SA, and later, in 1937, the NSDAP. Through his commitment and an increase in commissions, especially as a trusted architect to the top construction management of the Reichsautobahnen, he made a name for himself among the rulers of the Third Reich and received further commissions, eventually reporting directly to Gauleiter Karl Otto Kaufmann as "Architect for the Redevelopment of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg." In 1941 he became head of the Office for War-related Operations, and in 1943 Albert Speer appointed him head of the "Working Staff for the Reconstruction of Bomb-Damaged Cities" and drew up reconstruction plans for Hamburg, Wilhelmshaven and Kassel. In 1944, his name was on the Gottbegnadeten list of the Reich Ministry for Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda.
In Wismar, Gutschow had been an advisor to the mayor on urban planning issues since 1936, where, among other things, the housing estates of the Dornier factories were built.
After the war Gutschow was no longer active as an urban planner and again founded his own office, where he designed clinics and cooperated at times with Godber Nissen.