He studied architecture and structural engineering at the Czech Technical University (ČVUT) in Prague from 1923 to 1927. From January 1929 to October 1931 he worked for the company Václav Rejchl in Hradec Králové. Then he went to Brno to become an assistant at the Institute of Architecture and Town Planning at the Brno Technical University. At the same time he worked for the office of Adolf Liebscher, the head of the institute. From 1934 he taught at the State Trade School in Brno and in 1958 he was appointed professor at the Faculty of Architecture and Structural Engineering at the Brno Technical University, where he taught structural engineering.