Le Corbusier's architectural manifesto from 1926 may guide the definition of modernism in architecture:
- Pilots– replacement of supporting walls by a grid of reinforced concrete columnsthat bears the structural load is the basis of the new aesthetic
- Free designing of the ground plan – the absence of supporting walls – means the house is unrestrained in its internal use
- Free design of the facade – separating the exterior of the building from its structural function – sets the façade free from structural constraints
- Horizontal window (ribbon windows) which cuts the facade along its entire length, lights rooms equally
- Roof gardens on a flat roof can serve a domestic purpose while providing essential protection to the concrete roof.