The idea of a church expressed exclusively through architecture.
And not expressed by sculptures and paintaings. That is a great idea, which simplifies the churchs' interior in a pleasant way. Otto Bartning implemented the idea of a central church by aligning the pews for the believers along the fan shape of the building towards the altar. At the same time, the community symbolically and visually moves closer together. The altar stands on a semicircle, a symbol for the centre. The only additional reinforcement to the architecture are the colored window panes. Blue in the altar area, one of the symbolically heavenly colours, and orange window panes along the church interior.
The church has its real highlight on the outside at the south-east corner, dominated by the tower. Inside at this point is situated the altar. It comes to an inner and outer emphasis of the most important space. In other cases, the towers of churches are often attached to the west side. The fan-shaped structure of this church opens from the south-east and becomes flatter towards the sides.
Very good to see, that the concrete skeleton is filled with orange bricks.
Next to the church were built two houses as the communities' and sisters' houses.
First ideas for a church came up in 1913. But World War I let all plans fail. A new architectural competition in 1924 won two architects, but this competition ended with many disputes. So the decision was made to take Otto Bartning's plans, which he drew up in 1929. Throughout his life he searched for the most suitable form for a Protestant church building. This included the unity of the congregation, that the altar and the pulpit are on one level and the churches do not have a chancel that is separated from the rest of the church building.
The foundation stone was laid on November 6, 1932, and the church was consecrated on September 16, 1934. The church was partially destroyed by the bombing of Berlin. So Otto Bartning rebuilt the church in 1950-1951 and then again in 1962-1963. Although they have been simplified, such as the benches, they have been reconstructed close to the original, as is the case with the windows.
The church, like the parish, is named after the Swedish King Gustav Adolf II. He was an important fighter for the Protestants against the Catholic Habsburgs in the Thirty Years' War. He died in a battle in 1632.