Address and directions
Potsdamer Straße 1, 2
15234 Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
Public transport: Puschkinstraße/IHK
Today's use: Educational institution
#School #Frankfurt (Oder) #1930
The school was built close to Frankfurt's main train station, because many pupils commuted. The architecture is plain and austere. The main entrance is accessed by stairs and is highlighted with a concrete support structure. The school kitchens and chemistry rooms were located in the high wing of the building along the street Potsdamer Straße. On the inner courtyard side, the large windows can be seen from the school's former ballroom, which is now used as a canteen by the vocational school centre. A dormitory once allowed pupils to stay in Frankfurt (Oder).
The important protagonist in Frankfurt (Oder) was mayor Hugo Kinne, who established the city as a centre of education since 1925. This school was one of his projects within the city's School Council Office. Girls or rather young women were trained in German, but also in mathmetics, hygienics, nursing, gymnastics, cooking and gardening. Rooms designed as workshop determined the character of this school type.
In 1959 the school became a part of the city's largest company VEB Halbleiterwerk, the largest manufacturer of semiconductor devices in the German Democratic Republic.
The building is listed and was renovated in the years 1998-2000. It is in in some parts in a poor condition.