A housing project supported by the Social Democratic Party of Germany
The two architects Mebes and Emmerich started to built the first houses in 1929 in the eastern and central part of the housing estate between the streets Müllerstraße, Swakopmunderstraße and Togostraße. The street Afrikanische Straße can be considered as the main street of their project. Until 1930 they designed houses with five storeys in the street Müllerstraße. This area is designed as a kind of gate leading into the housing estate. It is the only part of their project, where the houses copy the older block building system, that people from outside can not just easily have a look into the inner system of the settlement. Shops define this zone as highly important for the inhabitantsas Müllerstraße is a main Berlin boulevard.
All other houses in the settlement are realized with four storeys. All zones are built as continous rows of houses with an open structure. This is what the new building was like, to avoid sothing like the front or back, something more or less important.
The houses built by Bruno Taut along Damarastraße and along the western parts of the streets Swakopmunder Straße and Togostraße have four storeys. The blocks in this area were set further apart than in the sections by Mebes & Emmerich.
The houses at Nachtigalplatz 1-32 and Petersallee 3-28 are also part of the housing estate. They were built in 1937-39, designed by the architects Werner Harting und Wolfgang Werner and financed by Gemeinnützige Siedlungs- und Wohnungsbau GmbH. The houses differ a alot from the older buildings, from the outside visible with the gable roof. A gable roof instead of a flat roof was one of the major building codes and regulations made by the Nazis. As the buildings do not fullfil the political and architectural ideas important for our website, we do not describe or show them in particular.
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung is a place with 1,400 apartments, mostly with 2-bedroom-apartments.
The developer built the property in 1928. The first construction stage was done by the two architects Mebes and Emmerich from 1929-1930. From 1930-1931 Bruno Taut carried out the most western part up to the park Rehberge. All three architects planned and designed the housing estate. The world economic crises meant that further construction had to be put on hold. The last section of the housing estate was finished in 1937-1939, not focused by us.
The settlement is named after Friedrich Ebert. He was the first German President of the Republic from 1919 to 1925 and a member of the Social Democratic Party (SPD). With this reference to the party, the political statement for the construction of the settlement becomes clear. Ebert's wife Louise Ebert was present when the foundation stone was laid in 1929. In 1932 the memorial stone for Friedrich Ebert was erected. The Nazis renamed the housing estate into Eintracht. The original name was chosen again in 1949.
The housing estate is listed and in a very different state. Some houses were reconstructed, some are still grey.