Address and directions
Goldschmiedenstraße 8, 10
99817 Eisenach, Germany
Public transport: Markt/Georgenkirche
Today's use: abandoned
#Department store #Eisenach #1929
The house is constructed out of reinforced concrete. The pillars, holding the house's construction, are good to see behind the large window shades. Indeed, that seems to be the case when looking at the long rows of windows. On the first floor, these are very effectively merged into a loggia. The dynamism of the house is achieved by the open balcony above, which gives the house a staggered appearance. A lack of symmetry enhances the swing of the house. On the right side is designed a square clinker building in contrast to the round and curved part on the left.
The original lift and safe are still inside of the house.
The house's design differs a lot from all buildings in Eisenach's centre.
The Consumers' co-operative in Eisenach built a glamorous building in the town's centre in 1929 and 1930. In 1967 the house was reconstructed to serve as a children's department store with the name Steppke (little child, more little boy). Some sources name the department store always like this, because it seems to be still a common term for locals. The department store closed in 1992 after the German reunification.
Since 1980 it is listed and for many years abandoned.