Address and directions
Public transport: Klingerweg / Nonnenstraße
Access: After appointment
Today's use: Tennis courts
#Sports facility #Leipzig #1932
The construction of the house was taken from shipbuilding. The bow faces north, exactly at the intersection of the two rivers Weißer Elster and the Elsterflutkanal. At the south-east corner, a high window band with yellow-orange panes for the staircase is designed as an eye catcher. The clubhouse adjoins in a northerly direction on the ground floor. The northern "tip of the bow" was designed as a room for the clubs' board, with a "sunbathing deck" behind a on the first floor. The pergola does not exist anymore. The original interior furnishings are only partially preserved (the lamps and windows in the staircase, parts of the staircase, the wardrobe on the ground floor, some window frames), the former hopper windows on the ground floor are replaced by casement windows.
In the basement were integrated wardrobes and showers, a kitchen on the ground floor, and half of the first floor served as a flat.
The architect Otto Hellriegel was a member of this tennis club and implemented Johannes Koppe's plans. In the times of GDR this building and the court were part of the sports facilities of the neighbouring sports school. In 1991 the tennis club was refounded.
On this website are some interesting pictures, also a historic one, showing the former terrace with the pergola on the first floor.