Address and directions
Public transport: Festspielhaus Hellerau
Today's use: Villa
#Villa #Dresden #1929
The house open its facade to the south. The suterrain is accessible from the south. Above this is the actual ground floor with the living room. The bedrooms are located on the first floor. About half of the second floor is dominated by a roof terrace. An outdoor shower is installed there for enjoying refreshments. All floors open up to the surroundings and have balconies or terraces.
Dresden's only interwar villa of this type with a roof terrace and flat roof. When the family moved in in 1930, one requirement was to plant fast-growing poplars in the garden so that the house could no longer be seen from the street. Germany became noticeably more conservative in 1930. Although the house is in Dresden-Hellerau, which was built as a modern settlement as part of the garden city movement from 1909, the only flat roof in the district bothered the city administration. After the owner Walter Chrambach was murdered in the Buchenwald concentration camp in 1944, the family moved to West Germany after World War II. The villa was converted into an apartment house. After 1989, the new owners lovingly restored the house.