Palace of Electric Companies (Palác elektrických podniků) (1929)

Feed image of Palace of Electric Companies

#Multifunctional building #Prague (Praha) #Czechia #1929

Architects

Adolf Benš,

Developers

Address and directions

Bubenská 1
170 00 Prague (Praha), Czechia

Public transport: Vltavská

Today's use: Offices

A palace, a temple, a cathedral of progress

Description

In terms of its orientation, the building aligns with the neighbouring Church of St Anthony of Padua. The composition of differently articulated cubic volumes reflects the various functions housed within. The northern wing originally accommodated the administration of Prague’s transport company, while the southern wing, closer to the river, was occupied by the municipal utilities. The western porch, adjoining the church, once contained medical and spa facilities for employees.

The basement housed several halls as well as a cinema. The spacious central section is arranged like a passageway, from which the main staircase and the lifts - including paternosters - lead to the upper floors. From there, access is provided to the roof terraces, which were intended as recreational areas for staff, although it is unclear to what extent they were actually used for this purpose.

The two two-storey porches, extending like arms towards the central part of the building, lend the composition a particular elegance. The upper-floor windows are set without intermediate supports, enhancing the building’s strikingly modern character.

Inside, an air-conditioning system ensured that the building was heated in winter and cooled in summer, a notably advanced feature for its time.

Description

In terms of its orientation, the building aligns with the neighbouring Church of St Anthony of Padua. The composition of differently articulated cubic volumes reflects the various functions housed within. The northern wing originally accommodated the administration of Prague’s transport company, while the southern wing, closer to the river, was occupied by the municipal utilities. The western porch, adjoining the church, once contained medical and spa facilities for employees.

The basement housed several halls as well as a cinema. The spacious central section is arranged like a passageway, from which the main staircase and the lifts - including paternosters - lead to the upper floors. From there, access is provided to the roof terraces, which were intended as recreational areas for staff, although it is unclear to what extent they were actually used for this purpose.

The two two-storey porches, extending like arms towards the central part of the building, lend the composition a particular elegance. The upper-floor windows are set without intermediate supports, enhancing the building’s strikingly modern character.

Inside, an air-conditioning system ensured that the building was heated in winter and cooled in summer, a notably advanced feature for its time.

History

Historically, the people of Prague had to wait somewhat longer for this building than originally anticipated. Although the competition was held in 1926 and construction was scheduled to begin in 1927, work did not commence until 1929 and ultimately took almost five years to complete. The building was ceremonially opened on 7 March 1935 to mark the 85th birthday of Czechoslovak President Tomáš G. Masaryk. Its prominent role at the time was closely linked to the growing importance of electricity. While electricity itself was not new, it began to shape everyday life ever more profoundly during the 1930s.

Notably, the consortium of electricity companies also included Prague’s public transport operators. Customers could purchase season tickets on the ground floor. At the same time, the municipal utilities responsible for supplying electricity were represented in the building. They actively promoted a wide range of electrical appliances, which were displayed and sold on the ground floor. In this way, the benefits and possibilities of electricity were brought directly to the public.

During the Second World War, the light-coloured façade was painted dark as a precaution against air raids at night. Unfortunately, it later proved impossible to remove the paint entirely. The solvent used in attempts to clean the surface also damaged the glaze of the ceramic cladding.

After the war, only the transport companies remained in the building, occupying it until the 1990s. It subsequently stood vacant for many years. Not until 2018 did a comprehensive renovation breathe new life into the structure, which is now used as office space. During the Open House festival, this remarkable building is opened to the public for one weekend each year.

History

Historically, the people of Prague had to wait somewhat longer for this building than originally anticipated. Although the competition was held in 1926 and construction was scheduled to begin in 1927, work did not commence until 1929 and ultimately took almost five years to complete. The building was ceremonially opened on 7 March 1935 to mark the 85th birthday of Czechoslovak President Tomáš G. Masaryk. Its prominent role at the time was closely linked to the growing importance of electricity. While electricity itself was not new, it began to shape everyday life ever more profoundly during the 1930s.

Notably, the consortium of electricity companies also included Prague’s public transport operators. Customers could purchase season tickets on the ground floor. At the same time, the municipal utilities responsible for supplying electricity were represented in the building. They actively promoted a wide range of electrical appliances, which were displayed and sold on the ground floor. In this way, the benefits and possibilities of electricity were brought directly to the public.

During the Second World War, the light-coloured façade was painted dark as a precaution against air raids at night. Unfortunately, it later proved impossible to remove the paint entirely. The solvent used in attempts to clean the surface also damaged the glaze of the ceramic cladding.

After the war, only the transport companies remained in the building, occupying it until the 1990s. It subsequently stood vacant for many years. Not until 2018 did a comprehensive renovation breathe new life into the structure, which is now used as office space. During the Open House festival, this remarkable building is opened to the public for one weekend each year.

Sources

Sources

Construction types
concrete skeleton
Facades
ceramics
Windows
casement fixed ribbon
Roof
flat
Details
balcony railing roof terrace sculpture canopy lettering skylight staircase
Position
along a street periphere/neighbourhood
Storeys
8

Impressions

Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies Gallery image of Palace of Electric Companies